Minister for Transport Gladys Berejiklian today addressed hundreds of industry representatives from Australia and overseas at a North West Rail Link project briefing held in Sydney’s north west.
More than 320 people representing 170 national and international firms had registered for today’s briefing, also attended by NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell, on the multi-billion-dollar tender process to build the rail link.
On Friday this week the NSW Government will call for expressions of interest to build 15.5km of tunnels between Bella Vista and Epping, Ms Berejiklian said.
“This is a multi-billion-dollar contract – one of three major contracts to build and operate the North West Rail Link. This briefing comes after the Government announced its plans for Sydney’s Rail Future last week.
“It was really important to the success of this tender process that everyone could see our vision for rail and how the North West Rail Link fits in,” she said.
“We’re getting on with the job of building this project – early construction work starts in coming months and the first tunnel boring machines will be in the ground in late 2014.”
The North West Rail Link project has attracted interest from companies across Australia and around the world including the UK, Spain, China, France and Italy.
There will be three major contracts for the North West Rail Link project:
The first of two Environmental Impact Statements has also just been exhibited for public comment, with the second to go on display later this year.
The NSW Government is investing $3.3 billion into the North West Rail Link over the next four years, with $360 million in this year’s State Budget alone.
The North West Rail Link will be the first rail line to feature new generation single deck, high frequency trains as part of Sydney’s Rail Future.